Sunday, January 26, 2014

Stokers

I blow hot and cold about the NUJ. I left the union because its administration was appalling - all of a sudden it couldn't manage to take my subs by direct deduction from BBC salary, the way I'd joined as a trainee ten years earlier. On three occasions, it threatened to expel me for arrears, through pompous recorded delivery letters. On three occasions, I put them right - I'd made no change to my internal standing order, it was their failure - and they, in turn, assured me that all was fine. On the fourth occasion, I cancelled my membership.

I like the NUJ standing up for working journalists on a case by case basis. Their intelligent support for individuals pitted against the BBC machine is usually one of the best things you get from your subscription. 

Currently, however, I'm worried that they are behaving a tad hysterically. They had to make an uncomfortable apology to HR Director Lucy Adams last year, after equating a "claim" of "dirty tricks" with "evidence" of "dirty tricks". Now I'm worried that they - or members - may be briefing papers they should have no truck with, to keep the "bullying at the BBC" story stoked up, with claims, not evidence. I'd love to be assured that I'm wrong.

Declaration of interest: I worked with Mark Sandell at the BBC for more years than either of us care to remember; he was part of the Breakfast team when we launched 5Live Breakfast. He's a mate.

The Mail On Sunday has created a two-page spread around some less-than-half-truths, headlined "Another Bully at the BBC", and far too many other media organisations have lifted the story without seeking context. Mark is in the middle of what the BBC calls a "grievance procedure", with a range of complaints brought by one person. That one person didn't like the result of the first hearing, and has appealed. The appeal is in the process of being heard.

So, as the Mail rushes to judgement, let's look at another belter in their piece:

One well-placed source said: ‘Mr Sandell is someone who is known to have had a reputation for as long as he has been at the BBC. He was at 5 Live and other parts of the BBC and his reputation goes before him. 

‘There have been previous complaints [of bullying] against him.’ 

 It is not known if these claims have ever been investigated. 

Mark's reputation is that of an innovative programme-maker, with a real belief in encouraging teams, bringing on individuals, and getting to the heart of stories. You can't really investigate complaints of bullying if they haven't been made. Let's see where this story goes when the appeal is over, and assess what level of transgression emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......