Thursday, April 18, 2013

Access

A slightly sad new media day for me yesterday. I reached my article limit on the Telegraph website; from now, if I want to read more than 20 individual items a month, it means parting with dosh. It feels like a tipping point; with the Times paywalled, and the FT giving me just three of four free pieces, I'm essentially left with The Guardian unfettered - a quarter of this country's quality newspaper journalism. It's like the packing away of a glorious free playpen of interesting stories and ideas.

The dingy university common room, then the BBC, gave me all the access to papers I ever wanted. It was unlikely that it could last forever; maybe I'll have to use a library - do we still have them ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......